home - about - trip reports - articles - contact - links
 
 
May 24th, 2009 Brokenstraw Creek
 
  Well summer is finally here and the warm weather and water is NICE! Today was all about experimenting and trying to nail down new exposure/film/filter combos. For this experiment I shot 2 rolls of film in Holga 120N's. The first was a roll of Kodak Tri-X and the second was a roll of HP5. Both are 400 speed B&W panchromatic films so they are similar, but both also have different tonalities.

For this shoot I decided to go back to "The Islands" area of Brokenstraw Creek that I had gone to on several occasions before. In the main creek area the water levels were getting back to normal summer flow so what was knee deep a month or so ago was no only ankle deep. This area was chosen because it was close to home, and I wanted to explore it a bit more.

For this shoot I stacked 3 filters together. First up was B+W 3.0ND filter. This filter cuts back the light by 10 stops and has a filter factor of 1000X. That means that 1 second of exposure would get carried out to 1,000 seconds. On top of that I stacked a Minolta #11Green Filter and finally stacked with a Hoya Polarizing filter.

The first roll I shot was the Kodak Tri-X. My goal was to experiment with different exposures and in different lighting. I had figured that 1-2 minutes would be pretty close so I shot 3 frames at 4 spots. One at 1 minute, one at 2, and the other at 3 minutes. Sadly after I had shot the roll and was putting the camera away, I realized that I had forgotten to switch the camera over to bulb mode after shooting with it at the beach on normal. The end result was each shot was exposed for 1/100th of a second and the whole roll was blank :-(

The second roll which was the Ilford HP5 turned out much better. I thought to check the switch and changed it over to bulb. I shot the same 3 bracketed exposures here as well. The results are below. I am quite happy with this filter combo and will experiment further with it to really dial it in.

I also cropped these to 8x10s as I thought they worked better that way.

   
 










 
 

unless noted all content copyright 2006-2009 by Wallace Billingham all rights reserved